Vol. 2, No. 5 November 1999 Editor: Bruce Prescott
Testing Inerrantist Truthfulness
Here’s a simple way to tell if you are getting a straight answer about claims for the Bible's inerrancy. Ask inerrantists the questions listed below.
1. Is the Bible you read and hold in your hands inerrant?
If he says, “No,” he is being honest.
If he says, “Yes,” ask question 2.
2. Do all the ancient manuscripts of the Bible say exactly the same thing.
If he says, “Yes,” he or she is being honest. He or she is simply uninformed about the history of the transmission of the Bible and needs to do some study. ( 2 Timothy 2:15)
If he says, “No,” ask question 3.
3. How can you honestly say the Bible is inerrant when you know that all the manuscripts of the Bible have errors in them?
If he says, “The Original Manuscripts were inerrant.” Ask question 4.
4. Where are the “original manuscripts?”
If he admits, “They have all been lost,” or “They no longer exist on earth.” Ask question 5.
5. Since God didn’t bother to see that the Bible was preserved inerrantly, why is it necessary to believe it is inerrant?
If he says something like, “So men could be sure of their salvation.” Ask question 6.
6. Do you have to believe the Bible is inerrant to be saved?
If he says, “Yes,” ask questions 7.
If he says, “No,” ask questions 8.
7. Do you have to place your faith in an inerrant book (unseen) before you can have faith in Jesus?
Doesn’t that make the Bible an object of faith and another mediator between us and God? (1 Timothy 2:5)
Doesn’t that make the Bible an idol?
Or, does belief in inerrancy prove that you are saved and is failure to believe proof that you aren’t? Is that why some inerrantists call Mainsteam Baptists infidels?
8. Why have inerrantists worked for 20 years to exclude Mainstream Baptists, divide the SBC and BGCO, and revise the Baptist Faith and Message to make it say the Bible is inerrant?
Was all the pain this has caused in the lives of God’s people and churches really necessary?
Online since April 7, 1999
E- mail questions or comments about this web site to email@example.com
Copyright © 1999-2014 Dr. Bruce Prescott P.O. Box 6371 Norman, OK 73070-6371 (405) 343-6357.